Connect with us

Life

Man Jumps Headfirst Into Moving Car To Save Driver Having Seizure

Dramatic footage has emerged of the moment a heroic man leapt out of his own car and jumped headfirst in to a moving car to save a driver having a seizure. The dashcam video, from the Illinois police department, shows the blue car rolling through traffic, through a red light and veering off into a

Published

on

Man Jumps Headfirst Into Moving Car To Save Driver Having Seizure jumpincar1Dixon Police Department

The dashcam video, from the Illinois police department, shows the blue car rolling through traffic, through a red light and veering off into a different lane at a busy intersection.

The car then approaches a 4×4, which backs up away from the blue car. The quick-thinking driver, Randy Tompkins, gets out of his vehicle and, noticing something is wrong with the other driver, promptly dives head first through the open passenger-side window of the blue car to help the driver and bring the vehicle to a stop.

You can watch the heroic moment here:

Speaking to the Chicago Tribune, Randy said:

He had his arms up by his chest. I didn’t know if the guy was gonna push the gas, jerk the wheel or whatever, so I waited as long as I could to back up.

Once he got about a half-car length away from me, I parked my truck at an angle and jumped out of my vehicle.

Randy then put two fingers into the driver’s mouth to stop him swallowing his own tongue.

He said:

I did that really fast, and then I stopped the car. I was worried, but I would do that for anybody. It just happened to be I was at the right place at the right time.

A statement from the Dixon police department said:

Officers observed a blue passenger car traveling north on North Galena Avenue and had disobeyed the red traffic signal at that intersection. The car proceeded through the intersection, almost striking several vehicles.

A truck, that was southbound in the 1300 block of North Galena Avenue, had to back up to avoid being struck by the car. The driver of the truck could see the driver of the car and observed that something looked medically wrong. The driver of the truck (later identified as Dixon resident Randy Tompkins) exited his vehicle, ran up to the car and without hesitation jumped into the car through the passenger side window in an attempt to stop it. Tompkins was able to get the car in park just as officers approached the vehicle as well. The driver of the vehicle was found to be having a seizure.

Tompkins and the two officers stood by until Dixon City Fire arrived and transported the driver to KSB Hospital. We want to thank Tompkins for his heroism and for coming to a complete stranger’s aid!

In a later Facebook post from the hero Randy Tompkins himself, he said:

Wow I just saved this guy’s life in the blue car i jumped in his car he was having a seizure at the wheel the cops said they saw me jump in his window like dukes of Hazzard it was crazy I saw him coming at me so I backed up real fast to the side and jumped out and jumped in his car to stop it wow my adrenaline is still going.

Not all heroes wear capes!

If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via stories@unilad.co.uk

Life

Police Officer Praised For Breastfeeding Neglected Baby

A police officer in Argentina has been praised for breastfeeding a neglected baby. The baby was suffering from malnutrition when he was brought into Sister Maria Ludovica children’s hospital in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where police officer Celeste Ayala was on guard duty. Local media reports that the baby boy was the youngest of six siblings, and the

Published

on

Local media reports that the baby boy was the youngest of six siblings, and the mother was struggling to cope. He was apparently described by hospital staff as being ‘smelly and dirty’.

Celeste realised that the hospital staff were overloaded with work and unable to give the crying baby a lot of attention, so the kind hearted woman stepped in and asked if she could hold and breastfeed him.

The neglected infant calmed down as soon as Celeste started feeding him.

The police officer spoke to local media about her actions.

She said:

I noticed that he was hungry, as he was putting his hand into his mouth, so I asked to hug him and breastfeed him.

It was a sad moment, it broke my soul seeing him like this, society should be sensitive to the issues affecting children, it cannot keep happening.

Celeste’s colleague, Marcos Heredia, took a picture of the officer and the baby and posted it on social media. It has since been shared over 100,000 times.

He wrote:

I want to make public this great gesture of love you made today for this little baby who you did not know, but for who you did not hesitate to act like a mother.

You did not care if he was dirty or smelly, which is what the hospital staff called him. Good job mate.

Quiero hacer público este gran gesto de amor que tuviste hoy con ese bebito, que sin conocerlo no dudaste y por un…

Posted by Marcos Heredia on Tuesday, 14 August 2018

The local fire department, who Celeste volunteers for in her spare time, also praised the nurturing woman.

They said:

We want to congratulate the voluntary firefighting cadet Celeste Ayala who yesterday in her job as police officer whilst she was on guard duty at the Hospital, breastfed a young child who arrived crying.

Actions like these fill us with pride and obligate us to redouble the effort, the work and the solidarity with our community.

FELICITAMOS A NUESTRO CADETE A BOMBERO.Queremos felicitar al cadete a bombero voluntario Celeste Ayala que en el dia…

Posted by Bomberos Voluntarios Berisso on Wednesday, 15 August 2018

Presumably a friend of Celeste’s, Antonella Romano, commented:

I did not expect less from you! Not only are you a great woman, but a great mom. What pride, only those of us who know you know that everything you do is with love.

Those sharing the story on social media have also been quick to give their compliments to the police officer.

One person wrote:

In a messed up world, here’s a simple act of love and generosity. Celeste Ayala as a mother I salute you.

Another added:

Celeste Ayala, you are a beautiful woman with a beautiful soul. Bless you for caring about that poor helpless child.

A third said:

This is on duty police officer #CelesteAyala. She asked to look after a baby crying as overloaded staff in an Argentine hospital were unable to see to him.

She then breastfed him like an absolute trooper.

The power of woman. And the kindness of people #breastfeeding #police

Celeste truly seems like an all-around selfless and caring woman.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to stories@unilad.co.uk.

Continue Reading

Crime

Girl Who Pushed Friend Off Bridge Is Charged After New Footage Emerges

Earlier this month, (Tuesday, August 7) a 16-year-old girl was pushed from a 60 foot bridge at Moulton Falls, over the Lewis River in Washington, US. The teenager, Jordan Holgerson, had told her friends – who were all standing behind her – she was too scared to jump, as she was standing on the edge

Published

on

The teenager, Jordan Holgerson, had told her friends – who were all standing behind her – she was too scared to jump, as she was standing on the edge of the bridge.

The incident was filmed by one of the group and in the video, a boy can be heard asking her ‘ready?’, but before she could respond, another female could be seen leaning over the railing and shoving Jordan forwards, causing her to fall 60 feet from the bridge.

Watch the footage below:

The rest of the group shouted out in shock before 16-year-old Jordan slammed into the water with a sickening thud.

An ambulance was called at some point after the fall, and while thankfully the teenager survived, she suffered a number of horrific injuries.

She sustained six broken ribs, as well as a punctured lung and had air bubbles in her chest.

However, the 18-year-old woman who was filmed pushing her friend off the bridge, Taylor Smith, has now been charged with reckless endangerment, reports ABC News.

Check out an interview with both girls below:

Prosecutors filed the charge Friday, August 17, with a declaration of probable cause from the arresting officer stating in part:

It is clear that Taylor Smith engaged in conduct which created a substantial risk of death and resulted in serious physical injury to Jordan Holgerson.

Reckless endangerment is considered a gross misdemeanour which is punishable by up to a year in jail and carries a maximum fine of $5,000.

Taylor stated:

I accept the charges maturely and all I can do is hope for the best for Jordan and myself.

Girl Who Pushed Friend Off Bridge Is Charged After New Footage Emerges TaylorSmithABC News

According to the complaint filed in Clark County district court, Jordan told authorities it was Smith who had pushed her and it was unwanted.

Smith admitted to pushing Jordan off the bridge but stated to authorities she only did so in an attempt to help her friend overcome her fear, and she didn’t want to injure her.

During an exclusive interview with ABC NewsGood Morning America, Smith said she failed to consider the repercussions beforehand:

She wanted to jump and she was scared and she had asked me to give her a push, and I didn’t think about the consequences. I thought she would be fine.

Girl Who Pushed Friend Off Bridge Is Charged After New Footage Emerges JordanbridgeABC News

Prior to Smith being charged, Jordan’s mother, Genelle, explained the dangers of her daughter’s fall, and wanted the girl responsible for pushing her to turn herself in.

Speaking to Katu, she said:

Recovery’s gonna be slow with her ribs, and her chest. I don’t see any hopes of leaving today.

If she fell a different way she could have broken her neck, become paralysed. She could have died.

My daughter’s gonna have a long road to recovery and I think that she should probably just turn herself in – realise what she did wrong. This is not okay.

She could have killed my daughter.

Smith told Good Morning America, the prospect of facing charges is ‘scary’ but she will ‘accept whatever the prosecutor gives me.’

She commented:

I never intended to hurt her ever, nor would I intend to hurt anyone. I’m really sorry it turned out that way. I just pray that she heals and gets better.

I accept whatever the prosecutors think is best for me, considering I caused not only bodily harm but emotional trauma as well.

But I just hope for the best.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to stories@unilad.co.uk.

Continue Reading

Life

Benidorm Tourists Flee Beach After Floods Turn Streets Into Rivers

benidorm rainTourists in Benidorm didn’t need to go to a waterpark to be caught up in flowing water after floods turned the streets of the Spanish holiday resort into rivers.  While England has had a surprising lack of rain recently, Benidorm has not been so lucky. The temperatures in the holiday resort are currently lower than

Published

on

benidorm rain
Benidorm Tourists Flee Beach After Floods Turn Streets Into Rivers benidormGetty

The temperatures in the holiday resort are currently lower than they are in Britain, and visitors who had probably had high hopes for a sun-soaked day at the beach got an unpleasant surprise when the heavens opened on them.

Check out the waterlogged streets here:

Cruise worker Charlie Brown filmed the video, where water can be seen pouring down a hill in Rincon de Loix.

Those who had set up camp at the beach grabbed their deckchairs and parasols and made a run for it, struggling up the hill through the fast flowing, gushing water.

Charlie explained that bad drains in the resort usually lead to floods after rain, but the amount that hit the streets on the day he filmed the video was extreme.

Benidorm Tourists Flee Beach After Floods Turn Streets Into Rivers GettyImages 587600330Getty Images

Talking about the footage he captured, the 25-year-old said:

This was after just 30 minutes of heavy rain.

Weather like this is not normal for Benidorm at this time of the year. It’s practically unheard of.

August is normally scorching, but it was freezing this morning – I had to put my heating on.

It often floods when there’s rain because the drainage system isn’t great, but this was just crazy.

Charlie added that he lost a flip flop to the strong current of water – and said he has been walking around with one shoe ever since.

Surely in the seaside tourist trap there’s at least one shop that sells flip flops? Though he might not have wanted to risk losing the other one in trying to get there.

He continued:

I even lost my flip flop battling against the current. I’ve been walking around with only one since.

The water was over my ankles. It was hard to walk up the hill.

I suppose holidaymakers would be pretty p***** off if they’d travelled here for some sun. It is sunny now though.

This was right by the sea in front of the beach.

Some holidaymakers took to social media to share their disappointment at the bad weather.

One person wrote:

I didn’t pay for this sh*t! #Benidorm

Another shared a video on Instagram of the stormy weather, but indicated they’d found a good way to pass the time with the hashtag ‘another day in the pub’.

I can think of worse places to be.

It seems that not everyone was deterred by the rain however, with some Brits so determined to have their time on a sun lounger that they simply embraced the precipitation.

One visitor wrote:

Currently sunbathing in the rain, I love Benidorm x

Hopefully most of the tourists got their time in the sun. If not, at least they can always experience Benidorm life through the TV show.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to stories@unilad.co.uk.

Continue Reading