Connect with us

Licensed

Man ‘Housebound And Waiting To Die’ Loses Half His Body Weight

DONALD BAKER WEBFed up of being ‘housebound waiting to die’ due to being severely overweight, one man underwent a dramatic transformation losing half of his bodyweight in only two years. Donald Baker from Ohio, has always struggled with his weight which has been fluctuating since he was young spending most of his childhood being ‘a chubby kid’.

Published

on

DONALD BAKER WEB
Man ‘Housebound And Waiting To Die’ Loses Half His Body Weight DONALD BAKER 2UNILAD

Although he did lose weight on several occasions, Donald found that each time he would pile it all back on, weighing 28 stone five pounds (397lbs/180kg) at his heaviest.

Man ‘Housebound And Waiting To Die’ Loses Half His Body Weight DONALD BAKER 1UNILAD

Seriously affecting his health, Donald’s weight led to him suffering with rheumatoid arthritis and sarcoidosis – he had to have both of his knees replaced, have reconstructive surgery on his hands, as well as biopsies on both his lungs.

Physically unable to do much, Donald’s mental health also deteriorated meaning he felt like he was ‘housebound just waiting to die’.

Struggling to find any reason to attempt to lose weight again, two years ago a woman walked into Donald’s life, who would change everything becoming not only his girlfriend but his motivation too.

With encouragement to get out of bed and reassurance he isn’t a ‘failure’, Donald made dramatic changes to his lifestyle which helped him lose an astonishing 200 pounds over the past two years.

Halving his weight, Donald now weighs 14 stone two pounds (198lbs/90kg) and is now aiming to lose a further 25 pounds (11.3kg) to reach his ultimate goal.

Speaking exclusively to UNILAD, Donald explained how his girlfriend helped inspire him:

The most difficult part was starting. When you believe you cannot achieve you begin the journey in failure and hopeless.

Luckily I found a girlfriend who inspired me. She got me out of bed and walking around. She showed me that I was not a failure and I needed to start loving myself as much as she loved me.

She was also a gym rat and my gym guru. I was very lucky because I had the support I needed from her and my children and my transition into healthy eating was made that much easier.

With my three children, I couldn’t just let myself die.

Previously Donald lived what he would describe as a sedentary lifestyle – he never did any physical activity.

Now he is a vegan and a dedicated gym goer working out four days a week without fail.

He told UNILAD although at the beginning he struggled with both the diet and exercise, he soon found himself enjoying it especially since it meant he could be more active with his kids.

Man ‘Housebound And Waiting To Die’ Loses Half His Body Weight Screen Shot 2018 08 07 at 17.39.31UNILAD
Man ‘Housebound And Waiting To Die’ Loses Half His Body Weight Screen Shot 2018 08 07 at 17.41.16UNILAD

Donald said:

I became a vegan, taking in between 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day while enjoying one cheat day a week – vegan cheating though so Indian and vegan restaurants.

I went from my completely sedentary lifestyle to working out four days a week and in the beginning I got my medical marijuana card in order to help with the pain. I no longer need marijuana.

The biggest change was my overall physical health. I spent most of my children’s lives not being able to play with me being shut in a bedroom that they would visit once in a while.

Now I’m active, out there with them living life and loving every minute of it! My family loves it!

Healthier both physically and mentally, Donald shared some before and after photos on Reddit proud of what he has achieved.

Man ‘Housebound And Waiting To Die’ Loses Half His Body Weight Screen Shot 2018 08 07 at 17.46.37 1048x700UNILAD

Receiving over 8,600 upvotes at time of writing (August 7), Donald was overwhelmed by the love his post was getting.

He said:

I love it I’m truly blessed. From the response I seem to be an inspiration.

It was a long journey which wasn’t easy but I have never felt better in my life.

Just don’t give up. If you fall off the wagon, get up, head high, without embarrassment or shame and get back on.

This is a journey not a race. Your concern is the destination not the speed. If you stick to your diet through the thick and the thin you will get there and if no one seems to have faith in you believe me I do.

Congratulations on your remarkable transformation, Donald!

If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via stories@unilad.co.uk. To license this article contact licensing@unilad.co.uk

Licensed

Grandad Salutes Old Navy Commander After Not Seeing Each Other For 50 Years

Navy_webSo heart-warming!

Published

on

Navy_web
Grandad Salutes Old Navy Commander After Not Seeing Each Other For 50 Years IMG 6403UNILAD

Seeing old boys who haven’t seen each other since their youth is an emotional thing, especially when they served in the forces together.

Now in their 80s, Roger and his Navy Commander met in Kansas City after not seeing each other for over 50 years, but they didn’t forget how to pay their respects to one another.

The joy and connection they still hold is clear from the emotive photo Roger’s grandson, Wade, took of the pair saluting each other upon meeting.

Roger is on the right…

Grandad Salutes Old Navy Commander After Not Seeing Each Other For 50 Years IMG 6393UNILAD

Speaking to UNILAD about how the reunion happened, Wade said:

My dad had found out that my grandpa’s old Navy Commander lived about an hour away from him, so he arranged a meeting for them to reunite.

I think it had been around 50 years since they’ve seen each other. The photo really captured their reactions quite well.

Grandad Salutes Old Navy Commander After Not Seeing Each Other For 50 Years IMG 6402UNILAD

Wade described his ‘unique’ grandpa:

My grandpa Roger is quite the unique man. Very funny and blunt. Whenever the grandkids go to see him, we take quotes down of funny things he says.

He’s always saying random quotes from some point in time that makes everyone confused but also laugh.

He’s around 80 years old, but still gets up every day to go work outside, whether that’s setting bear traps, cutting down trees or working on his log cabin that he built by himself.

Grandad Salutes Old Navy Commander After Not Seeing Each Other For 50 Years IMG 6401UNILAD

The reason Wade said he loves the photo so much is because it ‘captures a side of him a lot of my family hasn’t seen’.

Speaking about the photo, Wade said:

He’s always giggling and trolling people, but in that photo you can see pure happiness in his expression. I’m quite fond of it.

Wade originally posted the photo of his grandpa and his Navy Commander last year and after seeing it, the Commander’s grandson happened to see it, recognise his grandpa, and became friends with Wade.

The beautiful reunion tugged on Reddit’s heartstrings, with commenters thanking them both for their service.

One commenter said:

Such joy and respect what a great moment you captured here! Thanks to BOTH of them for their service!

Grandad Salutes Old Navy Commander After Not Seeing Each Other For 50 Years IMG 6406UNILAD

It’s crazy to think the last time the two of them saw each other, they were about 35 years old.

Not sure where you start with a 50-year catch-up.

Continue Reading

Licensed

Guy Thinks He’s Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger

Wrench_faceWhat on Earth?

Published

on

Wrench_face
Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger Wrench faceUNILAD

Getting a flat tyre is one of the worst things that can happen in a moving vehicle short of actually crashing the thing.

Most of the world is plagued by too many pot holes, but I don’t think there’s a driver out there who’d be expecting to pull this kind of item out of your tyre.

Eric Polselli from Connecticut, was on his way to football when his ‘low tyre warning’ came up. ‘Oh no’, he thought, ‘I must have gone over a nail or something’.

So as not to be late for footie, he quickly popped home and changed it for his spare, but upon further investigation, he wasn’t expecting to pull this out.

Here’s the video of him extracting the item from his tyre:

Speaking to UNILAD about when the incident happened, 25-year-old Eric said:

So I was actually on my way to play some soccer on Wednesday when it happened.

I was getting off the highway and I heard a sound like I ran over something. Soon after my ‘low tyre pressure’ light came on and pulled into the nearest gas station.

I quickly lifted my car and swapped out the damaged wheel for my spare. When I saw that back end of the wrench sticking out I was in disbelief. I figured it must be either broken or sharpened somehow.

Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger %nameUNILAD

He explained how he reacted when it happened:

When I heard the sound I was pretty calm, I was around other cars and was hoping that the sound I heard had come from one of the other cars.

When my ‘low tyre pressure’ light came on the dashboard my reaction was more annoyed than aggravated.

As I mentioned I was heading to the field to play soccer and if I hadn’t had to stop and change the tyre I would have been right on time, but because of the incident I was about 10 minutes late. Also, I was wearing my socks and jersey while swapping the tre.

After work, Eric decided to take a look at exactly what happened with the wrench, and he started videoing because he wanted to show his friends.

To his surprise, the wrench was completely intact and the head was preventing him from pulling it all the way out, so he had to stop recording to get it out.

Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger %nameUNILAD

Eric explained how the ‘wrench wasn’t damaged at all’:

The wrench wasn’t damaged at all. I still have it and it still works perfectly. It’s a Craftsman 10mm.

I think the fact that the wrench was a 10mm probably contributed to the popularity of the story because 10mm wrenches are very commonly used and often misplaced.

The only way the wrench could have ended up in my tyre, based on the damage it did, was by me running over it.

I was just driving off of a bridge so I was thinking it may be possible that the wrench was lodged in between a space where the bridge meets the main road, but I didn’t see it before I hit it so I can’t know for sure.

Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger unnamed fileUNILAD

Because of the huge hole that the wrench left, the tyre could not be repaired, but luckily Eric had a spare at home and quickly swapped them.

The old tyre was however much more worn than the one with a wrench stuck in it, which only had about 10k miles on it.

Even worse news, Eric said:

The tyre with the wrench in it only had about 10k miles on it, and I found out later that they don’t make these type of tyres any more so I may have to end up buying four new ones if I want them all to match.

Eric’s friends reacted with surprise and disbelief at the wrench being pulled out fully intact from the tyre.

Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger %nameUNILAD

Talking about the reaction to his video online, Eric said:

Luckily my sister was in the car with me at the time so somebody other than I could confirm that I didn’t just set this up for some joke.

Once I posted it on Reddit the reactions were all over the place. Many people thought it was funny and I can’t even tell you how many people said something like ‘I bet that threw a wrench in your plans’.

A few people commented on the fact that I never actually got the wrench all the way out in the video. This is because I was never planning on posting the entire video, I just wanted to show my friends what was in my tyre, and I had to put the phone down to get the wrench all the way out.

Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger wrench guyUNILAD

Eric was surprised at how many people kept telling him that he should have grabbed the wrench with his bare hands and pulled it out.

I have to say, when watching it, I did feel an urge to grab it with my bare hands, but as Eric said, with it being a small 10mm and pretty slippery, it’s ‘not the easiest thing to get a grip on bare-handed’.

The other thing that surprised him was the number of people who thought the video was fake.

If someone was going to create a fake video of anything in the world, I don’t think anyone would stick a wrench in a tyre.

Guy Thinks Hes Run Over Nail, Turns Out To Be Something Much Bigger gngjrwj4ttUNILAD

Sounds like it’s cost him potentially four new tyres, but hey, free wrench.

You win some, you lose some.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via stories@unilad.co.u, and for licensing contact licensing@unilad.co.uk

Continue Reading

Licensed

Guy Wakes Up At Festival To Find Everyone Has Gone

Fest_faceNightmare!

Published

on

Fest_face
Guy Wakes Up At Festival To Find Everyone Has Gone Fest faceUNILAD

Everyone knows someone who has fallen asleep in their local nightclub only to wake up and find the whole place empty and their friends are up at the local chicken joint.

For me, it was Sheffield’s Corporation. The sides of the toilet cubicle made a particularly comfy pillow one Friday night and the one inch floor pool of miscellaneous liquids warmed my feet as I slept for two hours.

There is a step up from this though, which not many people would have experienced. Imagine waking up at a festival to find your tent was the only one left and everyone else is already showered, packed up, driven home and watching The Chase on their mum’s couch with a nice hot cup of tea.

That is exactly what happened to Michal Zaleski from Dingwall, Scotland, when he went to Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival this year.

Here’s the footage from what Michal woke up to:

Speaking to UNILAD about how the situation came about, Michal said:

Well the festival was Thursday till like Sunday 1pm. We were partying Saturday night till like 6am Sunday morning then me and my mate went home because we don’t stay far away from where it was.

I went back to get my tent at like 9am and people said to keep drinking so I did and must of went to sleep at like 10am.

I woke up, looked at the time and it was like 8pm so I was expecting that there will be no one there and videoed it. No one saw me because they were cleaning the family area first.

Guy Wakes Up At Festival To Find Everyone Has Gone image3UNILAD

The Scottish student phoned his mate with the final five percent battery he had left, asking how he forgot about him, before asking for a lift back.

Talking about what happened when he woke up, Michal said:

When I woke up I saw the time it was like 8pm and I’ve been at this festival for several years now and I know people leave around 1 or 2 pm so I wasn’t expecting anyone there.

I phoned my mate who lives not far away from where the festival was and he came up and we went for a wee wonder there and just went home after that.

Guy Wakes Up At Festival To Find Everyone Has Gone festUNILAD

Michal took a video of the empty field and posted it to his Twitter captioned ‘Why did no one wake me up?’, and it received over 1.4k retweets and 6.8k likes.

Lots of commenters said the experience must have been a ‘nightmare’, tagging their friend saying ‘imagine that happening to us’, or sharing their experiences of a similar situation.

Guy Wakes Up At Festival To Find Everyone Has Gone image1UNILAD

One commenter tagged his friend saying ‘haha when u got left down the Tyne’.

His friend replied:

Haha worst experience of me life looking out the tent seeing I was alone lucky the dog walker saved my ass.

Guy Wakes Up At Festival To Find Everyone Has Gone image4UNILAD

Another user tagged a friend saying ‘This would 110% happen to us’, while her friend responded saying ‘Omg and we would still live our best life’.

When I asked Michal how he felt when he opened the tent, he said he just felt like ‘it was home time’.

Seems like a very logical guy.

Continue Reading