Connect with us

News

Girl, 8, killed in her first ever drag race four days after getting helmet for her birthday

A LITTLE girl who loved motorsports died in her first ever drag racing crash just four days after her eighth birthday. Little Anita Board from Perth, Australia, came from a keen drag racing family and turning eight allowed her to qualify for a Junior Competition Licence so she could compete in the sport. But instead of […]

Published

on

A LITTLE girl who loved motorsports died in her first ever drag racing crash just four days after her eighth birthday.

Little Anita Board from Perth, Australia, came from a keen drag racing family and turning eight allowed her to qualify for a Junior Competition Licence so she could compete in the sport.

Anita, 8, stands proudly by her dragster which crashed at the Perth Motorplex on Saturday
Facebook
Anita unwraps her drag racing helmet on her eighth birthday last week
Anita unwraps her drag racing helmet on her eighth birthday last week
9News

But instead of marking the start of her drag racing career, it led to her death, reports news.com.au.

Video from Anita’s birthday celebrations last week showed the little girl barely able to contain her excitement as she unwrapped her new, and very own, racing helmet.

It was supposed to signal the start of an exciting new chapter for the child, and family.

But in the first race she wore that helmet — a trial that should have qualified her to compete in the Australian National Drag Racing Association’s (ANDRA) junior competition — Anita died.

The little girl's family love motor racing
The little girl’s family love motor racing
Facebook

Saturday’s trial run at Perth Motorplex ended in tragedy when Anita’s 210CC dragster — stamped with the name “Pony Power” and illustrated with hot pink and purple flames — crashed into a concrete barrier as shocked bystanders looked on.

She was removed from the smashed up vehicle, resuscitated and rushed to Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in a critical condition.

On Sunday afternoon she died in hospital with her family at her bedside.

Stunned family and friends left emotional tributes to the young girl.

Dad Ian Board said his heart was ‘in a million pieces’ after the tragedy
Dad Ian Board said his heart was ‘in a million pieces’ after the tragedy
Facebook
Stunned family and friends have left emotional tributes to the young girl
Family and friends have left emotional tributes to the young girl
Facebook

Her father Ian Board wrote on Facebook, with a picture of Anita taken only minutes before her solo run: “Our angel setting (out) on what was meant to be a day to remember for all the right reasons.”

My heart (is) in a million pieces.”

ANDRA shared news of the tragedy with the drag racing community.

“The Australian National Drag Racing Association is deeply saddened to confirm the passing of junior dragster competitor Anita Board following an on-track incident during an event held at the Perth Motorplex on the 11th of November,” the group said in a statement.

Drivers in her age class can hit speeds of 60mph
Drivers in her age class can hit speeds of 60mph
Facebook
The little girl was thrilled to get her helmet and finally take to the track
The little girl was thrilled to get her helmet and finally take to the track
Facebook
Cops are now investigating the tragic death
Cops are now investigating the eight-year-old’s tragic death
Facebook

“Everyone at ANDRA extends it sincere and deepest condolences to Anita’s family, friends, and the wider drag racing community at this tragic time.”

ANDRA will work with police who launched an investigation to determine what went wrong.

According to ANDRA guidelines, drivers aged between eight and 10 years can hit speeds of up to 60mph.

Police want to speak with anyone who saw or took video of the crash and are preparing a report for the coroner.

A version of this story originally appeared on news.com.au


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours


 

Continue Reading

News

Heartbroken woman’s screams after neighbour shot her pet pit bull because it ran into his house and ‘came at him’

THIS heartbreaking video shows the moment a woman found out her pet pit bull had been shot dead by a neighbour after apparently running into their house. The woman, who has not been named, can be seen bursting into tears as she holds the dog and wails: “That is my baby! That is my baby!” […]

Published

on

By

THIS heartbreaking video shows the moment a woman found out her pet pit bull had been shot dead by a neighbour after apparently running into their house.

The woman, who has not been named, can be seen bursting into tears as she holds the dog and wails: “That is my baby! That is my baby!”

The woman can be seen wailing as she comforts her dog which was shot by a neighbour
YouTube/Geoffre Brake

A man off-camera can been heard saying: “I had to, he came in the house, he came after me, I’m sorry.”

But the woman argues that the animal, thought to be named Zeus, was “harmless” and had approached the house “with his tail wagging”.

She yells: “You had no reason to shoot him!”

A woman out of the shot is heard saying: “It came to my house and I am very afraid of dogs.”

The unnamed woman can be seen yelling as she finds out her dog has been shot by the neighbours
The unnamed woman can be seen yelling as she finds out her dog has been shot by the neighbours
YouTube/Geoffre Brake
The distraught pet owner yells 'That is my baby' as she begs for someone to call an ambulance
The distraught pet owner yells ‘That is my baby’ as she begs for someone to call an ambulance
YouTube/Geoffre Brake
The heartbreaking footage shows the woman breaking down in tears as she strokes her pet dog
The heartbreaking footage shows the woman breaking down in tears as she strokes her pet dog
YouTube/Geoffre Brake

The owner cries: “You’re going to jail for this,” as she runs over to her dog, who is lying on the front lawn, and begs for someone to call an ambulance.

“He’s still alive, dad,” she shouts to one of the men standing on the porch, who appears to be apologising to the homeowners.

The woman later admits her dog must have slipped off its chain while she was at work before she marches off screaming that the police are on their way.

The footage was uploaded to YouTube last year with the caption: “My dad killed a pitbull with his glock”.

The woman argues with a man off-screen who says he 'had to shoot' the animal after it 'ran inside his house'
The woman argues with a man off-screen who says he ‘had to shoot’ the animal after it ‘ran inside his house’
YouTube/Geoffre Brake
Another man, thought to be the woman's dad, is seen trying to calm her down and restrain her
Another man, thought to be the woman’s dad, is seen trying to calm her down and restrain her
YouTube/Geoffre Brake

Another clip from the same user was put online the next day and titled: “Part two of my dad killing a pit bull”.

It’s not clear where the footage was filmed, however the people in the video have American accents.

People in the comments section were torn over the situation, as many sided with the homeowner.

One said: “Why he apologising? Vicious dog came to his private property and he has all rights to protect himself and his family.”

Another said: “A responsible owner wouldn’t have their dog running loose especially if it’s a pit bull”.

But a woman defending the pet owner asked: “Wouldn’t it have been quicker to close the door than search for a gun to shoot the dog?”


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Continue Reading

Budget 2017

Builders’ fury after Hammond threatens to seize land from ‘hoarder’ developers

HOUSEBUILDERS have hit back at claims they are hoarding land for profit after Philip Hammond warned he would seize plots of lands if they are not built on. The Chancellor unveiled an inquiry into accusations of land banking as part of his Budget-pledge to ensure more homes are built. This move prompted outrage from builders […]

Published

on

HOUSEBUILDERS have hit back at claims they are hoarding land for profit after Philip Hammond warned he would seize plots of lands if they are not built on.

The Chancellor unveiled an inquiry into accusations of land banking as part of his Budget-pledge to ensure more homes are built.

Between 2006 and 2015, planning permission was given for over 2million homes  but just 1,261,350 were built
Getty - Contributor

This move prompted outrage from builders who insist the planning system needs to be reformed.

Stewart Baseley, executive chairman of the Home Builders Federation, said: “As has been proved by numerous independent investigations in the past, housebuilders do not land bank.

“Housebuilders have nothing to fear from a review of land banking and if it identifies non-housebuilders sitting on land and brings that forward for development, it would be a positive move.

“Any review should also focus on why so many plots that some suggest are in a ‘land bank’ are mired in the planning system, and identify ways to process them more quickly so they can be built.”

Getty Images - Getty
Philip Hammond has pledged to seize developers empty land if they refuse to build houses on it[/caption]

Between 2006 and 2015, planning permission was given for 2,035,835 homes but just 1,261,350 were built.

Campaigners have accused fat-cat firms of hoarding the land just to push up house prices – pricing needy families out of somewhere to buy.

The urgent review, led by former minister Sir Oliver Letwin, was one of a series of shake-ups ordered by the Chancellor yesterday to speed up building in  the housing crisis.

Mr Hammond pledged to increase the number of homes built to 300,000 annually, in what he said will be “the biggest annual increase in housing supply since 1970”.

Fat-cat firms have been accused of hoarding the land just to push up house prices of existing homes
Getty - Contributor

He also promised to increase the housing sector’s financial support by £15.3billion over the next five years, taking the total to over £44billion.

This figure will include £1.2billion earmarked for the Government to buy land to build more homes, and £2.7billion for infrastructure supporting housing.

Planning rules will also be reformed to encourage better use of land in cities and towns, while also protecting the green belt.

In overcrowded London alone, there are 270,000 residential planning permissions currently unbuilt, Mr Hammond said.

He  told MPs of the review: “If it finds that vitally needed land is being withheld from the market for commercial reasons, we will intervene, using direct intervention compulsory purchase powers as necessary.”

He also insisted Theresa May’s vow at Tory conference to make the crisis top priority will be fulfilled.

Mr Hammond said: “The Prime Minister has said we will fix this problem. And no one should doubt this Government’s determination.”

The Chancellor pledged to stick to Theresa May’s Theresa May’s vow to make the housing crisis top priority
Getty Images - Getty

Ministers will also draw up plans to build five new “garden towns” in areas where the demand for homes is greatest, delivered by public- private partnerships attracting cash from around the world.

The proposals include the construction of a million new houses between the university cities of Oxford and Cambridge and the new town of Milton Keynes.

The Chancellor also set up a new mega quango to deliver on his housing blueprint by expanding the Homes and Communities Agency and turning it into Homes England.

The strong body will help councils enforce the Government’s yearly housing target by 2025 by “bringing together money, expertise, and planning powers”, he said.

Milton Keynes
Other proposals include the construction of a million new houses between the university cities of Oxford and Cambridge and the new town of Milton Keynes

But Mr Hammond faced criticism  his housing package ducked away from major solutions.

One was Mrs May’s refusal to look again at building on  green belt. Changes only apply to land in towns.

Shelter chief Polly Neate said: “The new 300,000 housing supply target is an important commitment which we welcome.”

Continue Reading

News

Young woman dies after ‘falling out of a second-storey window while taking a selfie’ in London

A YOUNG woman has died after reportedly falling out of a second storey window while trying to take a selfie. But the “beautiful” Toni Kelly gave the final gift of life after her organs were donated to help save other lives in the UK, with friends saying she had been on life support for a […]

Published

on

By

A YOUNG woman has died after reportedly falling out of a second storey window while trying to take a selfie.

But the “beautiful” Toni Kelly gave the final gift of life after her organs were donated to help save other lives in the UK, with friends saying she had been on life support for a week before she tragically passed away.

Toni Kelly had only recently moved to London from her home in New Zealand
tonzkelly / Instagram

Unconfirmed reports from the Daily Mail suggested that the young woman had been trying to take a photo of herself, but this has not been confirmed by her family or authorities.

The young woman is understood to have only moved to Britain this year, with her family now raising funds to bring her body home after the “tragic accident”.

In the tribute fundraising page for Toni, friends said: “Toni was a young, happy and beautiful girl who has had a tragic accident while living overseas in London.

“Unfortunately Toni has sadly passed away due to her injuries. In her death Toni’s organs have been donated to help save other lives in the UK.”

Toni's family rushed to London to be by her side
Toni’s family rushed to London to be by her side
tonzkelly / Instagram
Family and friends remembered Toni as a beautiful girl
Family and friends remembered Toni as a beautiful girl
tonzkelly / Instagram

Friends have since paid tribute to the young woman, with her family, of Whangarei, on New Zealand’s north island, having rushed to London to be by her side.

A friend wrote: “This is the most emotional draining and distressing time for any family to go through.”

Grieving sister Stacey also shared a photograph of herself with Toni, with the caption simply reading: “Always”.

Friend Paige Hourigan told Daily Mail Australia how Toni was “a beautiful girl”.

She said: “I remember just laughing and giggling with her all the time about nothing. She was a beautiful girl that will definitely always be remembered, especially for that smile.”

Others wrote tributes to the young woman, with one saying: “Words aren’t enough to express our sadness for all of you. Dearest thoughts are with you all.”


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


 

Continue Reading

Trending