Connect with us

Boxing

George Groves vs Jamie Cox: Shane McGuigan laughs off Chris Eubank Jr’s sparring claims

SHANE McGUIGAN has rubbished Chris Eubank Jr’s claims that he dominated George Groves in 90 per cent of the rounds in sparring. The WBA super middleweight champion’s trainer has revealed he’s got all the footage of the pair on a USB, which he will soon be analysing. Eubank Jr – who knocked out Avni Yildirm […]

Published

on

SHANE McGUIGAN has rubbished Chris Eubank Jr’s claims that he dominated George Groves in 90 per cent of the rounds in sparring.

The WBA super middleweight champion’s trainer has revealed he’s got all the footage of the pair on a USB, which he will soon be analysing.

Reuters
Shane McGuigan said Chris Eubank Jr’s claims about George Groves are nonsense[/caption]

Eubank Jr – who knocked out Avni Yildirm last Saturday – will face the winner of Groves vs Jamie Cox in the World Boxing Super Series semi-final.

And the Brighton-based boxer has insisted he will get the better of the Chelsea fan should they face each other.

He said on Wednesday: “I’ve sparred countless rounds with this man over the years. I have the measure of him. I know how those sparring sessions went.

“I know the levels that I was at, at those times, which was far beneath what I am now. I’m very confident going into a fight with him of what I’ll be able to do in that ring.

"He's a solid world champion, there is no doubt about it. But I believe I'm a superior fighter in every single way, and I cannot wait to prove it.

"I believe I dominated 90 per cent of the rounds that we boxed. I have footage of quite a lot of the spars, but that doesn't need to be made public.

"That was for me and my eyes only and just to learn, because when these sparring sessions were happening it was still early on in my career."

Chris Eubank Jr breezed past Avni Yildirim to set up a potential super fight
Eubank Jr claimed he has beaten Groves in hundreds of rounds of sparring
Alamy Live News

-
McGuigan laughed off the claims[/caption]

But McGuigan simply laughed off his claims that he bossed Groves in the ring.

He exclusively told SunSport: "Well I've got a USB with all of the sparring sessions on it because they all took place at David Haye's gym.

"And we had a camera, well, there was a camera in there and I've got all the footage.

"So I'll analyse that after this fight."

McGuigan also revealed he is unsure whether Cox can compete at world level, comparing him with Eubank's opponent Yildirim.

George Groves takes on Jamie Cox for the WBA super-middleweight title and the chance to fight Eubank Jr in the semi-final of the Super Series
Reuters

He said of the unbeaten Swindown southpaw: "Well you know you've seen with Yildirim last week, being unbeaten, and unknown and untested can work to your benefit because you can surprise people.

"Or you can fold on the night like Yildirim did, so it'll be interesting to see how Jamie Cox does, but you can see he has a better amateur pedigree.

"So I think he will give a better account of himself."

McGuigan - who recently split from two-weight world champ Carl Frampton - refused to be drawn on the Northern Irishman's next fight with Horacio Garcia.

When asked whether the Mexican is the right opponent for him, he simply stated: "I don't want to comment about Carl Frampton at this time."

Continue Reading

Boxing

Stephen Smith ‘healing’ after the Brit boxer’s ear was almost ripped off against Francisco Vargas

STEPHEN SMITH thanked fans for their support after he almost had his ear gruesomely ripped off in a bloody loss to Francisco Vargas in Las Vegas on Sunday morning. The British boxer was attempting to get himself back into the world title shot picture in Sin City. But after suffering the sickening cut to his […]

Published

on

STEPHEN SMITH thanked fans for their support after he almost had his ear gruesomely ripped off in a bloody loss to Francisco Vargas in Las Vegas on Sunday morning.

The British boxer was attempting to get himself back into the world title shot picture in Sin City.

Stephen Smith suffered a horrific cut to his ear as he was defeated by Francisco Vargas in Las Vegas
Sky Sports

But after suffering the sickening cut to his left ear from an accidental clash of heads the fight was stopped by the ringside doctor after the ninth round.

That left the result up to the judges, who scored 89-82, 88-83, 88-83 in favour of Vargas.

However, it was not the result that everyone was talking about following the 32-year-old Liverpudlian’s defeat.

The sickening images swept around the world, but Smith posted a positive update later on Sunday afternoon.

The Liverpublian suffered the gruesome cut in an accidental clash of heads
The Liverpublian suffered the gruesome cut in an accidental clash of heads
Sky Sports
The referee called the ringside doctor into action after the ninth round
The referee called the ringside doctor into action after the ninth round
Sky Sports
Smith posted this update on Twitter
Twitter @SwiftySmith

He wrote: “Thanks very much for all your supportive messages last night, read them all and they mean a lot.

“Went to hospital and got my ear stitched back up so hopefully all will heal well. Thanks again for all the love and support. Have a good Christmas everyone.”


CALL IT QUITS Supreme Lomachenko retains world title as he forces Rigondeaux to quit 


 

The horrific images of the gash evoked memories of when former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson bit a chunk of Evander Holyfield’s ear off during their title fight back in 1997 rematch for the belt.

Ex-unified super-middleweight and light-heavyweight world champ Andre Ward was one of those stunned by what he had witnessed.

He said: “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that in a boxing match…in an ear that was not bitten.”

The hospital trip to repair his ear compounded a miserable night for Smith Stateside.

He has now lost three of his last five fights, with two of those world title attempts.

The doctor then ordered the fight to be stopped
The doctor then ordered the fight to be stopped
Sky Sports
The clash was decided by the judges, who voted Francisco Vargas as the winner with a score of 89-82, 88-83, 88-83
The clash was decided by the judges, who voted Francisco Vargas as the winner with a score of 89-82, 88-83, 88-83
Sky Sports

Some good news did emerge later at least as he received the green light from medics to fly back to England on Monday as planned.

Smith claimed prior to the Vargas clash that he would call time on his career if he continued to fall short at the top level.

The fighter from a family of four boxing brothers said: “This is boxing and I know having had two chances, I might only get one more shot.

💰How to claim your FREE £30 bet💰

1 Register for Sun Bets here

2 Bet £10 or more

3 Sun Bets will stick a £30 bet in your account

CLAIM YOUR FREE £30 BET Check out this new sign up offer from Sun Bets

“For me it is not about going back to British level, I want to win a world title and defeat can ruin that.”

Meanwhile, the victory marked a successful return to action for Vargas, aged 32.

It was the Mexican’s first in-ring appearance since Miguel Berchelt inflicted a maiden career defeat on him to take his world title back in January.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux undercard: Michael Conlan next up to fight Luis Fernando Molina in second US outing

VASYL LOMACHENKO will seek to end the unbeaten record of warrior Guillermo Rigondeaux at Madison Square Garden in the early hours of Sunday morning. But although the main fight is undoubtedly a blockbuster event, there is plenty more skills on show in the undercard. One of the highlights is Michael Conlon, the fighting pride of […]

Published

on

VASYL LOMACHENKO will seek to end the unbeaten record of warrior Guillermo Rigondeaux at Madison Square Garden in the early hours of Sunday morning.

But although the main fight is undoubtedly a blockbuster event, there is plenty more skills on show in the undercard.

Vasyl Lomachenko will headline a blockbuster show this weekend at Madison Square Garden
AP:Associated Press

One of the highlights is Michael Conlon, the fighting pride of northern Ireland, who will be fighting over in the US for the second time.

Here’s all you need to know about the undercard.

Who is fighting on the undercard?

Michael Conlon is unbeaten in five fights, and is seen as a genuine world title hope.

He will fight Argentinian hitter Luis Fernando Molina in a six round super bantamweightt contest.

In March this year Conlan secured a stoppage victory against Tim Ibarra.

Michael Conlan is touted as a future world champ and will be fighting in the US for a second time
Michael Conlan is touted as a future world champ and will be fighting in the US for a second time
Sportsfile

Also on the undercard will be: 

Christopher Diaz vs. Casey Ramos (super featherweight)

Bryant Jennings vs. Don Haynesworth (heavyweight)

Fazliddin Gaibnazarov vs. Steven Ortiz (super lightweight)

Michael Conlan vs. Luis Fernando Molina (featherweight)

Shakur Stevenson vs. Oscar Mendoza (featherweight)

Jose Gonzalez vs. Adan Gonzales (super bantamweight)

Mikaela Mayer vs. Nydia Feliciano (lightweight)


DON’T BLINK Vasyl Lomachenko plans brutal end for Guillermo Rigondeaux


When and what TV channel is it on?

The fight will take place at New York’s famous Madison Square Garden this Sunday morning, December 10.

It will be broadcast live on BoxNation.

Coverage begins on BT Sport and Box Nation at 2am UK time.

Follow ALL of the action with our LIVE BLOG right here.

Continue Reading

Boxing

Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux live results: Shakur Stevenson gets US show off to a blistering start with stoppage victory against Oscar Mendoza

Published

on

By

Continue Reading

Trending